Tuesday, October 7, 2008

HAM ANYONE?

Ok, so this past Saturday because my parents were leaving for AZ (they are snow birds) we had a THANKSGIVING dinner.
Our plans were to deep fry a Turkey and a Ham. Now my parents have an outdoor deep fryer and we have done turkey before......and it is VERY VERY yummy!
We have never done a ham before though. My brother has done a ham in his fryer, but he couldnt be at our house to help us......so my mom and dad bought a ham.....and we deep fried it....and our first attempt was quiet commical.........check it out......

OK OK....so its a little charred......just a little.......my dad was bound and determined to find some pink meat on this thing.

My mom was now upset because we had only a 14 pound turkey and she didnt think that it would feed all of us.....so my cousin and Mariah went to the store to get another ham.......
in the mean time....heres dad still trying to find some pink meat on that ham.


Ok....so he didnt get much.......but he did get enough to hold him over until dinner was done...LOL
Here is the turkey

And the Ham that my cousin and Mariah got.....well lets just say that it was a little BIG.............but it turned out great and we have plenty of left overs.

So basically the moral of the story is that you should not buy a spiral ham and deep fry it....it does not work.

12 comments:

Leslie said...

Ummmmmmmmmm, I believe a spiral baked ham is supposed to be served at room temperature ;)

Just thought I would mention that...

La- said...

LOL I Love it! I love it... looks like something that would come out of my kitchen!

La-

Cathy said...

Good thing I hate ham!

Kim said...

Bwaaaahaaahaa Looks like something someone in my family would do! I will try to remember this in case anyone ever gets any wild ideas! :)

Kimbee

Lisa said...

LOL! I couldn't figure out what the heck that black hunk of something was at first. Lovely!

Cricket said...

that is a riot Carla!!! I won't be deep frying a ham anytime soon though, I don't eat pork..ugh! but, what a funny story!

smiles,

{monica} said...

Oh my, now that's funny!!

Jenna Franklin said...

OMG - that's hilarious! Shhhh - aren't spiral hams already cooked?

Edleen said...

hehe...so cute! :D

Amy Adams (aka Scrapitgal) said...

Ewe... that ham is sooo scary!! Too funny!! It was great to run into you the other day. Glad you are doing better - you look GREAT!!

MOM said...

SOOO, DON'T EVER DEEP FRY A "SPIRAL HAM" IS THE MOTTO HERE. IT DOESN'T WORK. A SOLID HAM WAS THE ANSWER.

THAT DOES LOOK AWLFUL, DOESN'T IT.

DAD BLAMES MOM FOR GETTING A SPIRAL, MOM BLAMES DAD FOR NOT WATCHING IT CLOSE ENOUGH.

OH WELL, IT IS A MEMORY WE CAN TALK ABOUT FOR AWHILE.

MOM

Trevelyn said...

I have done a spral ham and it was great. It looks like to me you are cooking at to high a temp and to long. (for both the bird and ham) The ham only takes a few min. 5-8