Saturday, October 4, 2008

My Scary expierence

Well.......for those of you that dont know, I just got released out of the hospital Friday.......I was admitted on Wed early afternoon, after being in the hospital on Tuesday all day for a blood tranfusion. My hemiglobin levels were extrememly low.....should be at a 12 and I was at a 4 on Tuesday when they did my first of 5 blood transfusions. This all stemmed from donating blood (plasma) through a company called Lifesouce. Well I have to try and make this a short story because its pretty long and I dont want to bore you with the details. But basically Lifesource screwed up and they should have never taken my blood (plasma) in the first place. Someone apparently read my levels wrong and then they basically drained me of all of the iron that I had in my system and I became extrememly anemic. Life threatening Anemic. To the point where I was told by my Dr's office to get admitted to the emergancy room ASAP and if I didnt have a ride that I needed to call 911 and get there. HELLO! Talk about scary. Well so the bottom line was that because I had the gastric bypass surgery about 5 years ago, my body has not been producing enough iron. Then I donated the blood and they took the iron that I had in my body out. So now I have to have a PICC Line surgically put in on Monday to get iron put back in my body through injections for the next 3-4 weeks 3 times a week. And this will be something that I have to continue for the rest of my life every couple of years. Bottom line here is that I could have died, Lifesource messed up....and now I think that I need to get a lawyer.
Im still feeling weak, and continue to have headaches...but thankfully Im still here.

9 comments:

Edleen said...

oh my gosh Carla! that is scary and i'm glad you're alright...

hope you'll feel much much better soon and Take care!

*hugs*

Cricket said...

I cannot believe the mess that Lifesource got you into!! I am so glad that you are ok Carla, how scary for you.

Take care, rest!

Heredia Family/Yvie said...

I am so glad that you are ok Carla. Hope you feel much better soon.

La- said...

Girl... this has been such a crazy ordeal fo ryou! UGH! Prayers and hugs!!

La-

Marci Knecht said...

Carla! OMG, I can't believe that!!!I'm so glad that you're okay. I was starting to wonder where you were but I never dreamed you were in the hospital.

Good idea about the lawyer, Lifesource definitely messed up.

Lisa said...

I'm anemic. I actually have a level that of iron normally that they would say I could give blood, but then I can't build up my iron fast enough. I gave blood 2x before figuring this out & each time became horribly sick afterwards obtaining secondary illness. Take care of yourself. Eat your spinach!! Liver with tomatoes too. You need the vitamin C to help absorb the iron in foods. My prayers will be with you as you go through this.

Tracy Lathrop said...

OMG Carla!!!! I heard about all of this through Cricket on Saturday at Archiver's!! I haven't been to anyone's blog in so long that I totally did not know!! I just keep seeing you at Scrap Pink not feeling well at all and to find out it was this! If you need anything please don't be afraid to ask! Seriously I am home all the time and if you needed me I could come help.
{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}},
Tracy

patri oliveira said...

OMG!! I'm glad that you are ok, now!

hugs!

Patri

CAKVD said...

Oh my, it is horrible that something this bad had to come from you doing such a good deed. I hope you are ok.....you poor thing!!! Hugs being sent your way!
Cheryl